Wednesday, January 15, 2014

curmudgeonly crochet

Hello and HAPPY NEW YEAR to you!

We're in the depths of winter, and while London's weather is nothing like America's polar vortex, we have had our share of chilly days. I like winter, especially on clear crisp days, but there is always a moment when I first step outside from my warm flat and the reality of the situation hits me. This is the scarf I crocheted on and off through October/November to commemorate the one thought I have in my mind at that moment...




This is my first experiment with filet crochet which is a technique where a design is created by contrasting filled in squares against a mesh background. 

I used the information in Debbie Stoller's The Happy Hooker to make up my own chart and coloured in each line as I completed it so I could keep track of where I was up to.

I wanted this scarf to appear to the world to be a lovely innocent lacy confection so I added a fancy border...



When it is wound around my neck the message is obscured. I like that I am the only one who knows that my lovely lacy scarf is secretly a potty-mouthed curmudgeon. Well, now you know too.

13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. well, it's no dwarf helmet, but thank you!

      Delete
  2. This is awesome, I might have to learn to crochet just so I can make a scarf like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should have a go! Making mesh like this is pretty quick and easy because it's mostly holes!

      Delete
  3. I love this! Brilliant idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I stumbled across this and fell in LOVE with it! I feel the need to make one of my own, and to share it with my readers, if I may?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really pleased you like it, Michele. Feel free to make your own, I just ask that you link back to mine as your inspiration. Enjoy!

      Delete
  5. I'm still laughing! It's especially funny as you look like butter wouldn't melt, brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha, thank you! I do enjoy wearing it to things like Rhyme Time at the local library. I'll have to retire it once the Little One learns to read!

    ReplyDelete