Sunday, August 25, 2013

wispy wiksten

This wiksten tank dress was one of my coping strategies for last month's HEAT WAVE. 

I found this birds-on-floral-boughs fabric on the remnants stall at Lewisham market (£2/m woo!) It's a lovely pale green, sheer and drapey. It's the kind of fabric I like to wear, but I've never sewn with it before.
I had originally planned to make the tank version of the pattern. I didn't really consider myself to be a tunic-y sort of a person and even while making it I wasn't too sure about whether I would like the result, but I figured this make would be a good opportunity to practise working with a sheer fabric as well as doing French seams. I thought I'd make the dress version and if I didn't like it I'd chop the bottom off to make it a tank.

I hand basted the neckline and arm holes so they wouldn't stretch out (I'm not sure how effective this was though) and I used pre made bias tape as the fabric was so quick to fray that I didn't think it would survive.
I was quite pleased with my French seams and check out my Rorschach-style pattern matching! Oh yeah!

I found the fabric to be a bit tricky to work with. It didn't like being ironed and was really stretchy on the bias. This meant that I didn't get a great finish with the bias tape where the fabric bunched up a bit (the section pictured above was pretty much the only decent part!) I did get a big pucker right in the centre of the neckline which I unpicked and re-stitched, and I'm hoping the rest can be overlooked by donning a distractingly large necklace!

I was a bit surprised to like the tunic length and I have left it as is. Teamed with a strappy vest and leggings/jersey pencil skirt, I wore it often during last months hot weather and was very happy to have something cool and floaty to swan about in!


1 comment: