Wednesday, May 08, 2013

First make of May...

So it's the end of the first week of Me Made May '13 and here's what I've made for myself over the last few days...
This stripey jersey maxi-skirt.
Worn with me-made cowl neck t-shirt,
me-made map bag

completed: May the 4th (be with you)

I've had this jersey in my stash for ages. Thanks to the tag still being on it I know I got nearly three metres of it for a fiver. I had thought it was black and grey stripe but on closer inspection it turned out to be a dark navy blue. 

The skirt was self drafted, although that makes it sound like there was a proper plan - it was more of a make-it-up-as-you-go-along sort of deal. The stripey jersey is quite lightweight which means it flows nicely while wearing it, but it also means that it's a bit see-through, so I added an interlining of black jersey-
(please excuse the wrinkles)

Having so much fabric to play with I allowed myself the luxury of cutting it quite wide at the bottom. The waistband, which sits more on my hips than waist, is 1.5" elastic stitched to the wrong side of the skirt, folded in and stitched again. I stitched the seams and finished off the bottom edge using my serger/overlocker and used my regular machine for the 3-step zigzag stitch of the waistband and hem.

I've already worn it out a couple of times and it's a good, easy, breezy sort of skirt with lots of movement. I think it will get a lot of wear this summer. 

So there, I'm calling the first make of May a success! I did complete another little something for the Little One this week which I will show you in the next few days...

3 comments:

  1. looks like a perfect summer skirt, looking forward to seeing the rest of your May makes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Can't wait to see what else you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ace use of bargainous fabric! The addition of underlining to the top is genius. I would never have thought of that and made it single layer then felt self-conscious every time I wore it. I really like the width at the bottom, nice proportions xxx

    ReplyDelete