Friday, May 17, 2013

Celebratory stitchery

Some friends of my sister recently took a trip to New York with their little daughter. One of the things they planned to do was, on a day that felt right, go to City Hall and get married. 

Their friends wanted to commemorate this happy event so my sister commissioned me to do some celebratory stitchery. She asked for their initials, NYC 2013 (because no one knew exactly what date it would be!) and some sort of tying-the-knot motif. 

This is what I did...


I extended the ends of the knot, turning them into leafy tendrils which I felt represented the possibilities for their future while giving a hint of the look of a family crest.


I spent a while experimenting with the design and when I arrived at the one I liked, I traced it onto my fabric using my fancy light box (ie: I taped the design to the window, taped the fabric over it and traced away!)


The design was for a 4 inch embroidery hoop but I stitched it on a larger hoop. I hadn't done any embroidery for ages and it was so nice to do it again - the thread makes a really satisfying noise as it passes through the taught fabric. It's quite tambourine-y!


I used three subtly different shades of blue embroidery floss (you know, 'something blue') the darkest for the lettering, medium blue for the knot and the tendrils, and the paler blue for the leaves. I used two strands of floss except for the ends of the tendrils and the leaves where I used a single strand.

I washed it, remounted it in a 4" hoop and sent it over to my sister in Australia. She wrapped it up beautifully and gave it to her friend to open up once they got to New York. She told me that her friend opened it up on the plane on the way over and promptly burst into tears she loved it so much!

So now I can finally tick "make someone cry through the medium of embroidery" off my list of things to do!

2 comments:

  1. Well, if that's not a bucket-list achievement, I don't know what is! It's absolutely gorgeous xxx

    ReplyDelete