Monday, February 25, 2013

Exhibition: Window 135


If you've wandered along New Cross Road in South East London, you may have noticed Window 135. A grocers in a former life, it is the home of Tim Jones and Meena Chodha, who, for the past 8 years or so, have used the old shop window as a gallery space. 

I have been fascinated by their window for years. Featuring original paintings and assemblages (often of weird and wonderful objects found in the nearby Deptford market) their ever changing displays often stop me in my tracks so that I can take a closer look.

One of their windows was the inspiration behind my something out of nothing necklace, so you can understand how thrilled I was to be contacted by Tim and Meena recently, asking if I'd be interested in having the window for a week to do with as I wished!

After meeting with Tim and Meena over a cup of tea (and a chance to finally get a peek at what lies behind the window. Yessssss!) I decided that I would like to feature the faceted necklace that had its origins in the window, and to expand that out to my recent obsession exploration of facets in general.

I had a lovely morning yesterday setting up the window. I had a rough idea in mind of how I wanted it to look and was very pleased to be able to rummage among the large collection of interesting objects that live behind the window to help fill out my vision...

Faceted necklaces.
Something out of nothing necklace, enormous gold tipped sapphires necklace and recently completed diamond heist necklace...

Big pretendy diamond necklace made with chandelier drops (purchased a while ago from a selection at Jo's toot stall at Spitalfields Market), silver leather, beads and wire. 

And speaking of diamonds, I stitched together a hexagon and various triangles of silver leather to create this baby. Being such a priceless artifact I have put it under a dome (and am considering also protecting it with a network of laser beams - the kind that you'd have to do this to get past)

Leading up to the (cake tin) plinth is a sheet of tesselated leather triangles. I cut nearly 200 triangles from silver covered vegtan leather which I had left over in my stash after using it as soling leather for a pair of shoes a few years ago. The triangles are stuck to some black jersey material (also from the stash) which allows them to crumple and catch the light in a very pleasing fashion. 
(Thankyou to Remnant Gleaning's experimentation with tessellated leather which I found while researching how to achieve this.)

To finish things off and to frame my pieces, I stuck some blue washi tape to the window to give the impression of irregular facets and to tie-in with the blue of the sapphires necklace.



So if you find yourself wandering around New Cross (day or night) keep an eye out for Window 135. My wares will be there this week.

More Window 135 goodness on their blog, on vimeo and tumblr (including a lovely detail shot of the big leather diamond here.)

4 comments:

  1. Well done! You clever sausage! This looks amazing: I'll be sure to pedal past sometime. I guess it has to be soon! 1 week, eek!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool! You've done a lovely job, and it's fun to hear the thoughts behind putting it together! Very cohesive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG how totally cool and amazing!!! Your window display in incredible and what an ace thing to be asked to do!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that diamond heist necklace is amazing. The window display is phenomenal. Love it!

    ReplyDelete