Thursday, October 25, 2012

Crocheting in a bubble

It's been a little while since my last post. I am currently enjoying the beginning of my maternity leave. I have been luxuriating in this little post-work-pre-baby bubble, or as I have been thinking of it - the little holiday between being covered in glue and being covered in poo.

This new phase of my life has coincided perfectly with the change of season and I have been enjoying the misty mornings, cool days and general autumnal colours and smells. We have been getting the flat baby-ready, I have been going for walks, making soup and spending chunks of my day like this:


But while I keep pottering away working on this bit of lovely green zigzag stripey-ness, I thought I'd share with you a couple of other crochet projects I completed recently.

After the (wonky) success of my first little baby cardigan, I was eager to have another crack at it. Luckily, two of my friends were pregnant so I whipped up a cardigan for each of their little ones...

Hooray! Much less wonky than the first one! The colour hasn't come out very well in this pic but it is a gorgeous teal-blue and the same tweedy green from the first cardi. I used the same Kelly Sweater pattern this time adding some stripes for a bit of interest. I used a slightly larger hook (4.5mm) because this little lady was going to be a bit older by the time the cool weather properly arrived.

The stripes are rows 3, 5 and 18 of the body and row 9 of the sleeve. 

A couple of green buttons for the green stripes and a blue button to finish it off.


The next little cardigan was for a little fellow who has only just made his world debut.
A lovely soft grey with stripes in the same teal as the previous cardi.

For anyone playing along at home - this one has stripes on rows 2, 4, 6 and 18 of the body and row 9 of the sleeves.


Little blue buttons for little blue stripes.

I'm really pleased with how these little cardigans turned out. I'm still not sure if the sleeves are right but they're less bulgy than my first attempt. I've also managed to make the edges more straight and even than the first attempt too. Makes me think I'll have to make another one for our little Botterbean (mainly so that it doesn't get shown up by these two!)

3 comments:

  1. Awh I am about to finish work and I've also been crocheting - I even did the Kelly cardy too! I also found my sleeves were bulgy - I pretend i'm channelling pigeon street characters. I have to say yours are stunning - love the stripe detail. If you fancy some more projects there is a very good book of baby patterns called Cute and easy Crocheted Baby Clothes which has cute blankets, booties and cardies. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I saw your little cardigans although your latest one is way more advanced than these! Gorgeous stuff! That book looks good, I shall keep an eye out for it. Take care of yourself and your little passenger!

      Delete
  2. Love your crochet.
    Try to enjoy your in the bubble time. Take care and keep those feet up!

    ReplyDelete