Thursday, August 30, 2012

new for old

This was a commission from a couple of years ago...

The sandal on the left belonged to a friend. She loved them but they were rather knackered, and unbeknownst to her, her husband asked me if I could re-produce them for her. (What a lovely fellow!)

I spent a while sourcing the various bits and pieces - O-rings to form the foundation of the decorated strap, suitable beads, leather thonging etc, and experimented with the knotting technique. The wider interwoven central strap proved beyond me so I went with three thinner plaited straps instead.

I padded the insole so that it would be super comfy and covered it with soft leather. I made a wedge sole from layers of cork and covered it with hessian. The original sandals had a rubber wedge moulded to look like it was woven.

I enjoyed working on these sandals. It was a good project for figuring out some new techniques and improvising with hardware etc to achieve the look I was after. 

Monday, August 27, 2012

Switcheroo - version 2

After the success of the first button braces re-fit for Mr B, he requested that I convert a pair of his regular clip-style braces to accommodate buttons. 

before
regular clip-style braces

Rather than having two separate button tabs on each end as before, he asked that the leather tabs be one piece as you see on some older, traditional braces.

I made a template based on the shape of the tabs from the first pair, and made a trial tab. I found it to be too long and so adjusted the template. When I was happy with the pattern I cut the tabs from leather, again ensuring I cut them in the direction of least stretch.
The markings on the above tabs is where I will begin and end the stitchline.

stitching the tabs.
I used a Singer post (as opposed to flatbed) machine. It has a wheel foot which stays in constant contact with the leather so that it cannot shift around.

I trimmed the excess leather close to the stitchline, making sure I left an even curve into the tab ends. I then lightly hammered the stitched area into a nice round shape.

I punched the buttonholes with a buttonhole punch...

...and attached them to the braces with another leather tab and a couple of rivets.


I am pleased with the result. As is Mr B. Success all round!