Sunday, June 17, 2012

Sunday in the balcony garden

A sunny day spent pottering around on the balcony and enjoying the treetops-and-sky view with its impressive rolling cloud show.

The non-edible end of the balcony (visible from the bedroom) with my lovely hydrangea about to burst into bloom

The edible end of the garden. The yellow flowers are pak choi. I tried growing it for the first time this year and it bolted pretty qiuckly. I was going to pull it out but I thought I'd wait and see what the flowers looked like. Turns out they have these lovely sunny flowers that the bees are loving, so I kept them. I have still been able to pick the pak choi leaves for stir fries.

This is the bit of the garden I can see from our couch. Carrots on the left (first go at growing carrots), mint, strawberries, parsley and bolted pak choi, mega chives, nasturtium, dill, beetroot on the right (another first time attempt). And a two more varieties of mint in the right-hand foreground.

Sage, thyme, peashoots for salad, potato, tomato seedlings (three varieties) and our BBQ with its pound shop woven plastic bag cover! Salad bar on the right - three tiers of salad-y things, mainly bolted pak choi (with their lovely bee-attracting flowers) calendula which are yet to flower (the petals can go in salads) and fast growing mixed salad leaves (which we have eaten and I am yet to sow the next round)

Outside our kitchen window we have dwarf beans, cucumber and another potato plant (not shown). We've already eaten the first harvest of these beautiful purply-black beans and the next round is happily growing.

There's no danger of us canceling our weekly veg box delivery any time soon, but it is lovely to have all these herbs and other edibles close to hand, to watch them grow and to eat them minutes after picking (without worrying about air miles and carbon footprints). It's very satisfying.

4 comments:

  1. I try to grow a few edibles in pots, as you say nothing beats truly fresh food. Also flowers for the bugs and bees - so important, especially now in the current bee crisis.
    I like to scope out the garden aisle of Poundland too - my £1 blackcurrant bush is thriving.
    Your garden is wonderful - demonstrates how even small spaces can be beautiful and productive at the same time. Thanks for sharing - very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always only had small spaces for plants and used to think it was a bit frivolous to grow flowers, but now I want to attract as many bees and butterflies etc. I have a buddleia that's about to flower so we'll see how popular that is...

      Delete
  2. Really great post Your garden is wonderful - demonstrates how even small spaces can be beautiful and productive at the same time. Thanks for sharing - very inspiring. Folding shoes

    ReplyDelete