Thursday, May 31, 2012

MeMadeMay'12 - Week Four (and a bit)

The final installment of Zoe's Me Made May '12 Challenge (and it's a slightly longer one thanks to May having four-and-a-bit weeks) Let's have a look...

Day 22.
me-made faux Chanel shoes
me-made map bag
It's finally t-shirt weather! Hooray! Here's to evenings in our balcony garden! I haven't worn this t-shirt much because I felt like I had cut the neckline too low, but it's nothing a little layering can't solve!



Day 23.
me-made self drafted purpley-grey cowl neck t-shirt
(me-cropped jeans)
me-made faux Chanel shoes
me-made map bag
This is the first time in so long that I haven't worn socks and my pale feet were given their first glimpse of summer sunshine! After having to retire my high-waisted jeans I dug out these low-rise jeans which I bought around the time I made my button boots (as seen on MMMay Day 1) and I cropped them so I could show off said boots! You'll have to forgive the balcony-door-reflection photo, I'm going to pretend it's artistic. This is the closest thing we have to a full-length mirror at home.


Day 24.
me-made map bag
It's comfort all the way today! The first outing of the new skirt and I'm pretty happy with it. It may end up being more of a slouching around at home (watering the garden) skirt rather than an out and about skirt though.


Day 25.
me-made moustache pendant necklace
(me-cropped jeans)
me-made two tone pointy flat shoes
me-made map bag
Home late after staying behind at work to make my emergency hot weather sandals! I think this may be the most me-made day of the whole challenge! The moustache pendant was made in the same way as the pipe and cloud as seen in MMMay Week 2. Again, I put it on a very fine chain because I wanted it to look a bit like a tattoo. I'm really liking the new belly band. Not only does it add a bit of contrasting colour/texture to the outfit, but it also effectively hides the fact that I am employing a large safety pin to keep my jeans done up. Plus it is handy for avoiding that rather unattractive side effect of low-rise jeans - always having hitch them up to stop your bum hanging out when you sit down!



Day 26.
me-made purply-grey self drafted cowl neck t-shirt
me-made map bag
Wearing the belly band again today, this time to hide the fact that I can't fully zip this skirt up anymore! The emergency sandals had their first outing today, wandering around Greenwich Park. I ended up doing quite a lot of walking in them and by the end of the day they did rub a little bit where the ankle strap meets the inside straps. This may be partly due to my feet being all soft and tender having been tucked up in socks all winter!



Day 27.
me-made angled flip flops
me-made map bag
Another out and about day, this time in a lovely dress I found in an Op Shop (charity shop) in Canberra, Australia a couple of years ago and my oriental inspired leather flip flops. These flip flops are re-makes of a pair that I made many many years ago and wore to death!


Day 28.
me-made map bag
me-made fabric carrier bag
It's nice to be able to wear this t-shirt without a cardigan and to be able to see the little kimono sleeves.


Day 29.
me-made pony sorbetto
me-made teal belly band
(me-cropped jeans)
me-made faux Chanel shoes
me-made map bag
Confused face. Probably because I spent all day thinking today was the last day of MMMay before realising I still had a couple of days to go! I am wearing a new teal knit fabric belly band. It was something I decided I needed in the morning when I was getting dressed, so I quickly cut it out from some teal knit fabric in my stash and whipped it up in no time on my serger. Instant accessory!



Day 30.
me-made teal belly band
(me-cropped jeans)
me-made map bag
me-made fabric carrier bag
Gratuitous belly shot (mainly for the benefit of my family in Australia. Look! Look at the Botterbean!) Teal belly band teamed up with my new pointy pointy shoes! Today was their first outing and I'm very happy to report that they were very comfy!


Day 31!
me-made beaded daisy chain necklace
me-made belt
me-made faux Chanel shoes
me-made map bag
I haven't worn this necklace for ages but I thought it deserved to be included in MMMay. It is a two-and-a-half metre beaded daisy chain which I wrap around my neck, allowing me to wear the necklace at different lengths. There are little yellow beads in the centre of the white 'daisies' and there is a small loop one one end of the chain which slips over the other end to fasten it.

And that's it! I SURVIVED ME MADE MAY 2012!!! It's been a really great experience and a thought provoking challenge. I'm really glad I decided to take part this time round. I have realised that I have more me-made items than I had thought, and that it is very easy to incorporate them into my everyday wear. I have had a quick count and I've discovered that I managed to average three me-made items a day throughout the challenge which I'm pretty pleased about. This month has had the added bonus challenge of having a body changing shape enough throughout the month that some clothes I was able to wear at the beginning of the month had to be retired by the end. I suppose this meant I couldn't be lazy and repeat outfits, but it also meant fewer options when getting dressed in the morning!

Big thanks go to Zoe who dreamed up this challenge, and to her and to my fellow MMMay-ers (and to myself) I say Hip Hip! Hooray! Hip Hip! Hooray! Hip Hip! HOORAY!

2 comments:

  1. Massive congrats on an AWESOME me-made month chica!!! You looked totally wonderful every day. The emergency sandals are incredible, as are the turquoise pointy flats. Plus those belly bars look really useful. I could totally do with some of those for when I've eaten too much and need to undo the button on my jeans! Plus extra congrats for handling the challenge of a changing body shape, and turning to self-made things to cope rather than mother care!

    xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog today and I'm loving it! The first thing I saw on your site: shoe making. The second: your awesome handmade shoes. Way to keep it rocking.

    ReplyDelete